Thursday, June 26, 2008

Quiet

It's my favorite time of the day... the smack dab middle of the night! I hate going to bed... I always have. And part of the reason is that I miss out on this part of the night. I love the stillness of a sleeping house, street, city... I love the tiny lights that pierce the night sky... I love the possibilities that come with hours on end where the phone doesn't ring and the world is stopped- allowing me to catch up. I love that I can get so much done all on a forgotten bankroll of time. I love hearing the house and all it's creaks and moans, ticking and humming like the body of an old man after a long, hard day's work. That harmony joined with the sweet melody of a childs deep sleepy breathing is such a contrast to the cacophony of daylight and business as usual. And when I've gotten all that I want from it, there is still the bliss of surrendering to my heavy eyelids and slipping off into a slumber both instant and deep. Really, it is the quintessential free time.

No comments: